Published on Thursday, 09 May 2013
Written by The Editors
Chefs David Change and Paul Kahan take top honors.
The prestigious 2013 James Beard Foundation Awards recognized a variety of culinary professionals, including celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.
- Outstanding Chef: (tie) David Chang , Momofuku Noodle Bar, NYC, and Paul Kahan, Blackbird, Chicago
- Outstanding Restaurant: Blue Hill, NYC
- Rising Star Chef: Danny Bowien , Mission Chinese Food, San Francisco and NYC
- Best New Restaurant: State Bird Provisions, San Francisco
In addition, special achievement award honorees included:
- Who's Who of Food & Beverage in America: Eric Asimov (Journalist and Author, NYC); Dorothy Kalins (Editor, NYC); Barbara Lynch (Chef and Restaurateur, Boston); Zarela Martinez (Chef and Restaurateur, NYC); Michael Mina (Chef and Restaurateur, San Francisco); Bill Yosses (Pastry Chef and Author, Washington, D.C.)
- America's Classics: Kramarczuk's, Minneapolis (Owner: Orest Kramarczuk ); Frank Fat 's, Sacramento, CA (Owners: The Fat family); Prince's Hot Chicken Shack, Nashville (Owner: Andre Prince Jeffries ); C.F. Folks , Washington, D.C. (Owner: Art Carlson ); Keens Steakhouse, NYC (Owner: George Schwarz )
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Cecilia Chiang (Chef and Restaurateur, San Francisco)
- Humanitarian of the Year: Emeril Lagasse (James Beard Award–Winning Chef and Restaurateur, New Orleans)
Each category has an individual Awards Committee made up of industry professionals who volunteer their time to oversee the policies, procedures and selection of judges for their respective programs.
To view a complete list of the winners, visit www.jamesbeard.org/awards